Sunday, January 13, 2008

Men's voices...or why I love to hear Uncle Tommy speak

Anthony Jones, Jr. My Uncle Tommy. Yeah a lot of folk call him Tony, but he's our Tommy. He's an extremely attractive man with a melodic voice that can thrill you down to your toes. He's extremely intelligent, has a great sense of humor, and rolls with the punches. Just more reasons why I love this man.
To borrow a line from Sophia of the Golden Girls..."Picture it, Brooklyn, 1966" We were all gathered at my grandparents apartment in Woodside for Christmas. The noise level well when there are 5 daughters, 4 husbands, and 5 children, lots of great food, and the knowledge we are blessed to be gathered together...you get my drift. My Uncle Tommy has a voice that is not as deep as Barry White's but still can be distinguished from everyone else's. Yep you guessed it, I had to marry him too! Life was getting complicated for me. If you recall I already had already betrothed myself to two other men, now a third! What was a five year old to do?
As I got older and spent more time around him, I began to admire him for his ability to live life on his own terms, and opinions be damned. I wondered why is it that men seemed to be able to do that, and women were in the position of accepting and conforming. It was a word that to this day holds so much power. CHOICE! My Uncle Tommy showed me that we make choices in this life and although you may make the wrong one at times, to accept and conform when one really doesn't want to, is a choice.
Here it is 40 years later, and I'm still in love with his voice, and I still adore him. If anyone were to suggest that my early years did not shape my later years, I'd say bull! My husband to be is a tall, dark caramel brother, who has great smelling, soft facial hair laughing eyes, a great sense of humor, the intelligence of all my "husbands" and my Uncle Tommy's voice.
Even if the above description doesn't fit my future husband at all ...wherever he may be, my Uncle Tommy showing me that life is all about choice, will ensure that I choose the right one for me.

God bless,

Cee...Level

No comments: