Friday, October 17, 2008

It's only hair people!


I'm a loc'd sistah. What made me loc was the fact my head was hot and sweaty, I didn't feel like paying a fortune to have it re-braided, and I'm extremely tender headed. It's the only reason why I'm loc'd. I've no spiritual connection, no epiphany, no drama, or any other life changing event to tell behind my decision. I saw it, I liked the look, I foolishly thought it was no maintenance. I'm enjoying it end of saga.

It doesn't break my heart when I see Black women with permed hair or, tastefully weaved hair, or any other hair style. It's their personal choice. I don't think it's about showing self hatred, or trying to be more like folk that have straight hair. It's not a slap in the face of our ancestors. Its a personal choice. If it's a particularly flattering style, I make sure I compliment the woman.

I belong to several natural hair care lists. I have to tell ya, the angst and the hoopla that transpires over hair is unbelievable. I don't get it! It's hair people! It's not that deep!!!!!!

OK so now ya'll know how truly shallow I am.

I'm still blessed,

1 comment:

ruthibel said...

It's hair alright. But we learnt the aesthetics somwhere. I mean, where did we get the notion that a perm looked good???

Anyways, you hafta see with me, I had my gender studies class today. 2 lovely lecture hours, so I'm all about equality and yada yah...

I agree that it is just hair. But maybe hair with a meaning?? LOL :)