Monday, August 04, 2008

5 things you can do for others which cost you nothing, but gain you a lot

I didn't write this, but I will be doing what's suggested below

Often people tell me that they wish they could help someone, but don't know how. I know that this is a struggle. Some people, when they get help, will ask, "how can I help you," but unless the other person has a specific favor in mind, they cannot think of what to do. Yet everyone can benefit from help. When I meet someone, or talk to them, or even think of them, my first thought is how can I help them. Equally, when I see an article, or come
across an interesting person, I wonder whom it would help. So I thought that the following list of things, each of which I have done at least once recently, may be useful:

1. Write a letter about someone you know to someone else you know recommending them for a job or consulting assignment. You can't do this about a total stranger, as you have to vouch for them, but it is amazing how effective a third party endorsement can be. This benefits both seeker and hiring manager.

2. Introduce someone to another person who should be of mutual benefit. Send information they can use. If you introduce someone, don't simply give them an email or phone number, but actually introduce them by email so that it is not a cold call for them. Senior corporate executives need help in being more successful, so do not assume that they do not need help. Since the average senior marketer is in their job about 2 years, how can we help them stay longer?

3. If someone is job hunting, do not think that they only want introductions to hiring managers. An introduction to someone who knows a hiring manager or can tell them about an industry is valuable. Note that job seekers and consultants are each constantly seeking a hiring manager, albeit for a different purpose.

4. Provide straightforward, honest, and complete feedback. You do no one a favor by not giving bad news or criticism. You will hurt someone less and keep them as a friend if you are open with someone. Equally, if you make an introduction, ask for open feedback and really push it. You need to know who reflects poorly on you.

5. If you cannot think of anything else, write them a glowing recommendation on LinkedIn. I am amazed at how few of those there are. While it may not always be huge, it helps, costs you absolutely nothing, and
will benefit you, the writer.

No comments: